Friday 13 June 2008

Jammin at the Savoy

I had a really great night on Wednesday. Popped along to a bar called Savoy as I had heard they was a Jazz/Funk night on.

Sure enough, when I arrived there was a really great 6-piece band playing: trumpet/vox, clarinet, saxaphone, guitar, bass and drums.

I got chatting to the owner June, who used to work in London so his English was very good. He and the barmaid Mami seemed pretty impressed I was from Scotland/UK and I felt obligated to take advantage of the generous selection of whiskies on offer. They were asking me all about Amy Winehouse who they seem to be fascinated with, which was really bizarre.

I had a really good laugh and got chatting to the band on their intermission. Then after they got back up I went to take a picture but as I did they invited me up to play!

June has house guitars on the wall so I got to pick one of them. We played a couple of jazz and blues numbers then June got up to play drums and Mami to sing. Of course they wanted to play an Amy Winehouse number with the British guy, so we belted out a rendition of 'Rehab' with the whole band. What a night!!!






Didnt manage to get any pics of June and Mami, but Ill definetely be back so maybe next time!

No comments: