Monday 25 August 2008

Atsugi Ayu Matsuri Festival

Every year Atsugi has a big festival to celebrate the river and the Ayu (small sweet-fish). It is held at a point on the River where Atsugi meets 2 other big cities. All together more than 500, 000 people were in attendance.

There is a massive fireworks display and everyone comes dressed in Yukata (long robes) or Jimbe (pyjama-like summer clothes). Of course I joined in and got my own Jimbe to wear :)

The fireworks were incredible, easily the best display I've ever seen. They were really big and some were quite complicated, exploding into shapes or Kanji characters. Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera, but I think I would have been to mesmerised to take any anyway.

Afterwards we had a party with a few fireworks of our own, here are a few photos courtesy of Alex and Randy-:


Just some of the people on the Atsugi side.



Many of our colleagues get Alex and I confused with each other so we decided to compare. Can you tell who is who?


Hung-lun playing safe


Everybody loves sparklers


Group photo:
(back) Me, Atsuko, Pedro, Juan, Levi, Young-ki, Hung-lun, Rumi, Tim
(front) Alex, Maiko, Marek, Alex's Friend(?), Alex's Friend's Friend(?),Kinya

No comments: